Sunday, December 14, 2014

To Dance with the White Dog by Terry Kay

Synopsis:
Sam Peek's children are worried. Since that "saddest day" when Cora, his beloved wife of fifty-seven good years, died, no one knows how he will survive. How can this elderly man live alone on his farm? How can he keep driving his dilapidated truck down to the fields to care for his few rows of pecan trees? And when Sam begins telling his children about a dog as white as the pure driven snow -- that seems invisible to everyone but him -- his children think that grief and old age have finally taken their toll. 
But whether the dog is real or not, Sam Peek -- "one of the smartest men in the South when it comes to trees" -- outsmarts them all. Sam and the White Dog will dance from the pages of this bittersweet novel and into your heart, as they share the mystery of life, and begin together a warm and moving final rite of passage. 
 Review by Patrick:

 To be honest, I only read this book based off of my wife's suggestion. I wouldn't have picked out this book to read by myself, but I trusted her judgement and put this on my list. I read it, but it just wasn't my thing.


It started off down right depressing. I mean Sam's long loved wife had just died. Then it continues telling the story of this old man as he lives without her companionship.


The story did have a ring of truth to it. It felt like this was a real story. I could see that Sam would've done all of those things. It was a glimpse into the future for many of us. I know I'm in my twenties, but maybe one day (heaven forbid) I'm going to have to be old and widowed. What will happen? This book opens the eyes of those who just doesn't have any experience in this sort of thing.


Overall, I can't say I enjoyed this book. It's not a book you enjoy to read. It's a book you read that tells a sad story, one that makes you feel and wish you could make life better. But also exposes that life sucks sometimes, and is great other times. You have to live in the moment, cherish your loved ones, make every day count. You only have so many to live, just like everyone else. I'm rating it a 3.

Next up:

I'm going to read Archer's Voice, which will be posted on our sister blog: Across the Sheets, then start the Chronicles of Narnia.

No comments:

Post a Comment