Sunday, June 29, 2014

Review: Low Red Moon by Ivy Devlin

http://www.amazon.com/Low-Red-Moon-Ivy-Devlin/dp/1599905108/ref=tmm_hrd_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1404015277&sr=8-1      https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7890058-low-red-moon

Synopsis:
The only thing Avery Hood can remember about the night her parents died is that she saw silver—deadly silver, moving inhumanly fast. As much as she wants to remember who killed them, she can't, and there's nothing left to do but try to piece her life back together. Then Avery meets the new boy in school—Ben, mysterious and beautiful, with whom she feels a connection like nothing she's ever experienced. When Ben reveals he's a werewolf, Avery still trusts him—at first. Then she sees that sometimes his eyes flash inhuman silver. And she learns that she's not the only one who can't remember the night her parents died.
Part murder mystery, part grief narrative, and part heart-stopping, headlong romance, Low Red Moon is a must-read for teen paranormal fans.


Review by Rachel: Rating- 4
This book grabbed me and sucked me in from the very first sentence. It was well paced and it would not let me put it down. I loved how lyrical it was. I felt the emotions as if they were my own. The first few chapters were so melodic and I could tell the author put heart and thought and work into those.
Avery is such a relatable character for me. She reacted to everything like I would if I grew up in her shoes. I adored the fact that when she had a question she would go to the computer and search the internet for her answers... I mean that is exactly what I would have done, and what most people would do, too.
I loved this book. When I finished it I didn't think I liked it as much as I did because it wasn't what I was wanting to read. I love a good soul mate wolf shifter book, but this book wasn't like that. Yes, there's a soul mate. Yes, there are shifter-wolves. But this novel didn't focus on either of those things. They were side elements to the book. This was a young adult mystery thriller. From the very first page it's all about finding out who killed Avery's parents.
I picked up this book knowing very little about it. In fact, all I knew was that it had shifter-wolves in it. I've been in the mood for shifter-wolf books lately and searched and found this one. I have to say I was disappointed that we didn't get much of the wolf, in fact we never saw a wolf. We heard them and we knew they changed, but that's it. I was also under the impression this was a stand alone novel (it's not!) and when I got to the end I was going to be furious. It's not a cliff hanger ending, but there was a huge opening for a sequel. Let's just say, I'm relieved to know there's a book two... I gave a big squeal and hugged my laptop when I saw Moonrise, the sequel, on Goodreads.
I don't know if this is getting a rating of 4 because of how much I liked the story or because of how much I liked the style of the author's writing. Both, the answer is both. The story was fantastic and I can't wait to find out more about Avery and Ben... in fact... I need to go get Moonrise right now.

Oh, and I LOVED that every time the word, 'Moon' was written in the book it was in red... Low Red Moon. Fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment