Thursday, October 30, 2014

Review: Solstice by Jane Redd

 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20387343-solstice?ac=1

Synopsis:
Four ways to get Banished from the last surviving city on earth are: 1. Cut out your emotion tracker, 2. Join a religious cult, 3. Create a rebellion against the Legislature, 4. Fall in love.

Jezebel James does all four.

Jez is on the fast-track to becoming a brilliant scientist, with one goal—to save her city from total extinction. Her caretakers have entrusted her with a secret plan to stop the rain from flooding the rest of the earth and start civilization anew. But the more Jez learns about the price of a fresh beginning, the more she realizes that carrying out the plan will lead to few survivors, and among the dead will be those she cares about the most.

Review: Rating- 4
I can't decide if I'm absolutely in love with this book or I'm consumed with rage. It's probably accurate to say, "Both." Solstice instantly grabbed my attention and kept it the whole way through. My mistake in reading Solstice was not watching how far into the book I was.
As I was reading, I loved the book, I loved the characters. Everything was flushed out, the characters had their distinct personalities, there was an excellent plot with plenty of things to backup what was going on with the world flooding and what they're doing about it. I enjoyed the young forbidden love. The book was phenomenal.

Then it ended.

I saw red. My eyes burned with tears formed from anger. I was consumed with rage. I honestly did not expect a cliffhanger ending. It was so abrupt. I figured it was about to wrap up what the whole book was about, but noooo. It just... It... ended! I sat there and wondered what the whole point of the story was. It was interesting and sweet, but with an ending so abrupt in her mission I was thrown for a doozie. I'm still angry sitting here thinking about it. Plus, I found out the next book in the series isn't out, which means this rage will continue to fester until I have the next book in my hands.
Despite the anger, Solstice is a fantastic young adult read. I give it a solid 4 stars. It really did capture and hold my attention. I couldn't flip the pages fast enough and I look forward to reading the next book in the series and hopefully see more of Jez and Sol together.
I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment