Thursday, August 14, 2014

Review: Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12578077-obsidian?from_search=true

Synopsis:
Starting over sucks.
When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I’d pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.
Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something…unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.
You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon’s touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is.

Review by Rachel: Rating 4.5
Where do I begin? This book... this book was beautiful-amazing-spectacular-lovely. I could keep going, but I know I shouldn't. I really had no idea what the book was about. I don't usually read synopsis to books, but I did glance at it and saw the word alien, so I was a little skeptical because some authors aren't really good at writing about aliens, it tends to come off too corny. I have to say this is the best alien book I've read and Jennifer Armentrout did a great job, it did get a little corny at times and that's the only reason this isn't a 5 star book. Honestly, I'm probably being a little hard on it. But really? Aliens? And you have to bring up E.T., not once, but multiple times?
Let me talk about Daemon the jerk face. Holy smokes, he's fine! Sexy as sin. I adore how protective he is of his sister. I hate how all over Ash he was.... I wanted to rip her eyes out and smack him. He's got that whole bad boy, I don't care what anyone thinks because I know they all find me drop dead gorgeous, going for him. He is a complete jerk 95% of the time to Katy, but man does it make that 5% swoon worthy. I want him, make him a bit older, but I want him.
I've noticed lately that a lot of female characters usually swing one way or the other, they're either clumsy, scared, and shy, or they're bad to the bone, strong, sexy characters. Katy was a great mixture of both. I am so happy that we got to see a little bit of her book blog and geeking out over books. I'm happy she was a strong character when it came to the enemies. I'm thrilled that she stands up to Daemon and doesn't fall for him... completely.
I should have known this book would consume me. I devoured this book in one sitting. I adore Jennifer Armentrout's work. She always leaves me begging for more and this book was no exception. I got to the last page, found there were a few pages from Daemon's point of view and did a squeal and jumped right in and then closed the book when I was done. I promptly commenced to repeating over and over, "I need more. I need more. I need more." Need, not want. I NEED more.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment