Sunday, July 13, 2014

Review: Also Known As by Robin Benway


Synopsis
:
Being a 16-year-old safecracker and active-duty daughter of international spies has its moments, good and bad. Pros: Seeing the world one crime-solving adventure at a time. Having parents with super cool jobs. Cons: Never staying in one place long enough to have friends or a boyfriend. But for Maggie Silver, the biggest perk of all has been avoiding high school and the accompanying cliques, bad lunches, and frustratingly simple locker combinations.
Then Maggie and her parents are sent to New York for her first solo assignment, and all of that changes. She'll need to attend a private school, avoid the temptation to hack the school's security system, and befriend one aggravatingly cute Jesse Oliver to gain the essential information she needs to crack the case . . . all while trying not to blow her cover.



Review by Rachel: Rating 3.5
The first half of this book droned on! I was about ready to give up 10 Chapters in. I kept saying, get to the point, get to the point. I pushed through, though, and boy was it worth it! The last few chapters in the book were sweat inducing!
I was under the impression I was reading a book about a girl spy, but I felt like it was mostly about this girl being dramatic about everything and rarely doing anything towards her assignment. The first 3/4ths of the book were about Maggie's relationship with the other characters and the spy part was pushed to the end.
I'm someone who tends to skim parts that bore me, but I couldn't with this book because of one character, Angelo. I was terrified I was going to miss a scene with him in it. I adored him. He was lovely. I wanted more Angelo. I actually read every word in this book because of him. I loved that he was a LGBT character that wasn't a stereotypical LGBT character, he was just a normal person and I loved that.
While the book wasn't the best YA Spy novel, but more of a figuring out who you are YA novel, I still liked it. It might have been predictable, down to the twist at the end, but it was light-hearted, sides hurting because of laughter, and a sweet teen romance read.




No comments:

Post a Comment