Sunday, June 19, 2016

Review: Breathless by Kelly Martin

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GZBTB5M     https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30251906-breathless

Synopsis:
There's good.

There's evil.

Then there's her.

When Gracen Sullivan stabbed Hart Blackwell, she thought it was over. She thought the world was safe--safe from her. Stuck in the Abyss, watching as the evil inside her body takes over, she has to find some way to stop it.

Hart Blackwell expected to wake up in Hell. Instead, he woke up in his grave. With the world falling apart, he has to put the bad history with his brother in the past or there will be no future.

Armageddon has been set in motion. Enemies will have to work together or everything will end in fire and brimstone.

The Abomination is here. And she must be stopped no matter the consequences.


Review: Rating- 5+
There's no way I can write this review adequately enough: there aren't words for the emotions that this book will produce in you, I'm not an eloquent writer, and I haven't held this book in my heart long enough to give words to how amazing it is.
"Some of the most evil people in the world are the ones who hide behind righteousness. Who hide behind good and God and all that other stuff that makes them feel better than anybody else in the world. It makes them feel superior."

So, here's a review that doesn't give this book justice and some quotes that I loved from the book.
Breathless picks right up where Soulless left off. Let me tell you, those first two chapters do nothing short of put you straight into the characters life. You're thrown right into a world that is going to hell in a handbasket and no one has any idea of how to stop the Abomination.

"A part of me feels grateful that Seth did what he did. Without it, there would never have been a Gracen for me to love."
This is a journey of emotions, so many emotions, regret, guilt, sorrow, worry, happiness, helplessness, and love. There's Hart and Lucien together and Human and facing the past, what they did and didn't do.
"I just never thought it would be the kind of love that would destroy the world."

Kelly Martin is a brilliant writer. Can you imagine being a human who killed your own brother, died yourself, went to hell, was tortured by your mother, watched over a girl who was destined to be the Abomination, be killed by her, and come back alive to face the world you helped destroy? No? Kelly Martin is so brilliant that she's able to make you feel like you did that. That you can actually imagine going through it all. You can feel it. The pain, the regret, the worry, all the emotions that are drowning you.

"I just saw myself.
Me.
The real me.
The real me in the flesh.
The flesh that hurt Colleen.
The flesh that disappointed my father.
The flesh that killed my brother.
The flesh that can't forgive itself."


This story is intense and the emotions are real and strong, but there's that famous Kelly Martin humor sprinkled in the pain that I've come to love. Hart goes through so much in this story and he copes with snark and poor comebacks and reality that sometimes you need humor in the dark because it's the only way to keep the light going in you.
"That's what I need when the world ends. To be wearing high waters. Hell, then I might even be okay with it. If I must wear high waters, I might as well die."

As the story progresses and we come down to the final wire of the world ending and Lucien, Hart, and Seth come up with a plan to hopefully stop the Abomination we're left ragged. We've been through pain. We've lost everything. Lucien has his end goal. Seth has his. And Hart. His humanity, his soul is so beautiful and so stubborn.
"If we can't save Gracen, we aren't saving everybody. Let it burn. Let it all burn."

Hart is better than anyone I've ever known. Read this series. You wont regret it.
"I know."

No comments:

Post a Comment